POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All that Windoze stuff : Re: All that Windoze stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All that Windoze stuff
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Oct 2007 17:05:52
Message: <4727aac0$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> So... would it for example be possible to write some gizmo that
>> enables you to insert a mathematical formula into a Word document
>> without Word crashing? (Or an organisation chart, for that matter?)
>
> Possible, yes. That's exactly one of the sorts of things it's good for.

So... when you double-click a "drawing" object in Word, and Word locks
up for 40 seconds while it pages huge amounts of data back into RAM...
that's Word loading the external plugin that handles drawing objects?

>> maybe be able to write macros in Haskell instead of VisualBasic? (You
>> know how normally you can write a macro in VB and then use it as a
>> normal function in cells of the spreadsheet? Well, what if you wanted
>> to use Haskell instead? Is that possible, technically?)
>
> I would expect so. It depends what Excel exposes.

Heh. Where do you find this kind of information?

(I guess it's kind of moot anyway. I don't have access to any
programming language that supports COM. No, I classify VB as "joke"
rather than "programming language"...)

>> When I develop things that have to talk to each other, I generally
>> just use TCP. I have no idea what the overhead is though.
>
> There's certainly the serialization overhead.

Depends on what you're sending. (If it's text anyway, that's not too
bad. Or if you're just sending button presses...)

I know you probably don't care, but for a project I once make a small
gizmo that allows you to talk a Smalltalk application and move it's GUI
to another machine on the network. (But unlike, say, X11 or VNC, you're
working at the model level rather than the bitmap level.)